Montag, August 20, 2007

Damodar Kunda (4700m) day one







We come lose and see two ancient shelter houses made from rocks with a corrugated sheet of metal (new roof!). Then we see two bigger water tanks, one pair of ducks fly hecticly away after seeing us approaching (here even ducks???). The whole area around the 3 kundas are wet, icy and muddy, and i guess it is a very big spring. I bring my obeisances to this Holy Place, and others follow. Cira unpacks his Goverdhana Sila and start to bathe Him with the Water from the Kunda. I just observe the scenery and chant silently. Great View, and i notice one small hut near the Kunda. The guide tells me that it is a Hindu shrine. I walk over (the walk is still taking much energy here...!), and find it to be open. Inside is a small 4 handed Vishnu Deity with next to him a Garuda sitting made from Granite. Around him are 4 big Salagrama Silas, dried garlands and flowers and old puja paraphenalia. We decide to come tommorrow morning to do our puja here. But now we want to start to look for Salagramas. But none of us could find any Sila. I could not believe it... Thats the source of Gandaki, Source of Salagrama Silas and none to see??? Looking for more then 2 hours all around, i did not find any. But now i realized that i had promissed to some of my friends and one very dear Sannyasi to bring Silas back from Damodar Kunda. What should i say?
I was desperate... and i started to pray for Silas. I looked inside the kundas, went inside even (soo ice cold!), but nobody!
I wanted to go back to our shelterhouse where our guides allready started to cook for night dinner, and here we are... i found the first Sila next to the Kunda!!! A nice one with a Chakra visible! Ok my mind was satisfied. And again i found another one and one more and one more... i started to dig a bit inside the mood and more Silas popped out... wonderful, thank you very much Dear Lord Narasimha! I came back with a big smile, but my friend Cira had no luck, he wanted a special one found inside the Kunda... The Sun went down fast and the stars over us where sparkling. Strong wind comes and we hide in our shelterhouse. Inside our place some former pilgrims have built a natural puja shrine, with infinite salagramas of all kind of sizes... some indian pictures of Lord Krishna and Rama standing next to it. The climate has tortured the pictures, and the whole thing looks shrill.
We hide in our tents and it becomes slowly very cold... Tommorrow we plan our day early with a bath inside the Kundas, Puja in the Vishnu shrine and some more searching of Lord Salagrama.

1 Kommentar:

Anonym hat gesagt…

Wonderful blog. I love read the contents. Fine, apparently, Sri Sharabeshwara and Sri Narasimha embraced each other. I don't understand why should sri Sharabha be torn into pieces. Fine, myths are always there. But for that, the collection is really good. plz try to add more content for the benefit of people like me.

servant
Sridhar